It’s berry season! Which means strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries are typically on sale at the grocery store every.single.week and this makes me very happy!
In the hot summer months, I have the luxury of owning blueberry bushes–so I can stock up on a bunch for the year! However, around this time every year, my frozen blueberry stash depletes…and I have to buy frozen or fresh at the grocery store. Luckily for me they’ve been on sale lately!
Berries are rich in antioxidants which battle the “free radicals” in the body to fight off the development of inflammation + chronic disease. Berries are also a good source of polyphenols (a naturally occurring chemical found in plants)–more specifically anthocyanins (blue/purple pigmentation in plants), micro nutrients and fiber. Studies have shown that these components are associated with improved cardiovascular health with “improved LDL oxidation, lipid peroxidation, total plasma antioxidant capacity, dyslipidemia, and glucose metabolism”. 1
There are endless ways to enjoy berries!
- Fruit Salad
- Homemade Fruit Salsa served with Cinnamon Pita Chips
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Mixed Berry Yogurt Parfait
- Berries to top off an Ice Cream Sundae for dessert
- Mixed Greens Salad + Berries
- Berry Muffins
- Berry Pancakes/Waffles (adding berries to the batter)
- Banana-Berry Oatmeal
- Add on top of cereal
- Eat on its own!
While berries are very enjoyable on their own, I love adding them to baked goods! Below you will find my refined sugar FREE Triple Berry Cobbler using only 3 Tablespoons of maple syrup in the whole.entire.thing to sweeten it up! Use whatever berry combination you like–I used strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. This will be the PERFECT patriotic dessert for Independence Day coming up!
Other Berry Options:
Triple Berry Cobbler
- 3.5 cups Berries of choice (I used strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons PURE Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 3 Tablespoons Flax Seed, ground
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Flakes, unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and chop strawberries. Rinse blueberries and blackberries. Add berries to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add cornstarch, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract and lemon juice to berries. Stir to combine well.
- Add berry filling to a greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In a high powered blender, add in all the crumble topping ingredients and blend until “crumbly” texture.
- Sprinkle crumble topping on top of berry filling. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until berries are bubbly.
- Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes to allow juices to thicken.
- Serve as is, with some vanilla ice cream, or whipped topping!
What are your favorite ways to enjoy berries?? Let me know!