With summer just around the corner and gardens beginning to produce an abundance of fresh veggies and herbs, I decided to share my pico de gallo recipe. Summer is the season of cookouts, BBQ’s, and grilling, and I guarantee this salsa will be a crowd favorite.
About a year ago, I learned how to make this pico from a coworker who is from Guatemala. I never made fresh pico de gallo before, and I was surprised that I liked it because I am not a big fan of tomatoes or cilantro…but combined with limes, jalepeno, and onion, this fresh pico is addictive.
And of course, pico de gallo is naturally nutritious! Tomatoes contain lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant (fights free radicals in the body to prevent cancer and chronic diseases), onion (high in fiber, vitamin C, folate and potassium), cilantro (vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, fiber), and lime (vitamin C).
Full, FREE printable recipe below and make sure to tag @livebetterwithkatdetter and use #livebetterwithkatdetter in your creations!
Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Vidalia Onion, diced
- 2 Jalepenos, seeded + diced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 Limes, juiced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Wash produce. Thinly slice and dice Roma tomatoes (I also de-seeded tomatoes, completely optional). Add to serving bowl.
- Dice 1/2 vidalia onion and add to tomatoes in serving bowl.
- Slice jalepenos in half. Using a spoon, scoop out jalepeno seeds (you may keep the seeds if you want extra heat). Dice peppers and add to tomatoes + onion in serving bowl.
- Finely chop fresh cilantro and add to other ingredients in serving bowl.
- Juice 3 limes into ingredient bowl.
- Add salt + pepper to taste.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight to enhance the flavors.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
Tikki approves, too! 🙂 I hope you all enjoy this fresh summer recipe! The leftovers are perfect for work lunches, too!