Happy Registered Dietitian Day to my fellow RD’s!
This is a fun day in our profession, so I wanted to celebrate by sharing a fun dessert idea with you all–whether you’re an RD or not!
Making banana pops is a great activity to get the kids involved, too!
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas (I like to use perfectly yellow ones)
- Toppings: I kept it simple with chopped English walnuts and unsweetened dried cranberries
- In a medium sized pot, add 1 1/2 cups of water and set on stove on medium heat. Place a heat resistant bowl on top of pot to make the chocolate mixture (or use a double boiler).
- Add in chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla. Stir continuously to prevent burning. **If you want to skip that step (as it takes a while), add all chocolate ingredients in a microwavable safe bowl, microwave at 30 second intervals stirring between each time until melted completely).
- Cut bananas in half.
- Dip bananas in chocolate.
- Top with favorite toppings.
- Freeze or refrigerate for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Tightly seal in container and keep in freezer for easy on the go snacks or desserts.
Other topping ideas:
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- golden raisins
- chia seeds
- freeze-dried fruit
- mini chocolate chips
- chopped apricots
What are your favorite toppings?