Ah, granola. Such an easy thing to make and yet many people buy it in the store out of convenience. However, typical store bought granola is high in fat, sugar, and overall calories for a very little serving.
I am SO excited to share my granola recipe with you all. It’s sweet, crunchy, and contains heart healthy fats. The best part? All of these items are probably in your pantry! Oats, almonds, ground flax seed, salt, cinnamon, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla! You can make it in no time.
*Nutrition fact: flax seed is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which is a heart healthy fat. To get nutrient benefits from flax seed, you must pulse seeds in a blender for your body to digest properly. When the flax seed is whole, it passes through and is not properly digested, so make sure you grind it up!
- 2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup chopped Almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground Flax Seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup of Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix oats, almonds, ground flax seed, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate, microwave safe bowl, melt coconut oil. Add maple syrup and vanilla and mix well.
- Add maple syrup mixture to oat mixture and mix well until fully incorporated.
- Spread over parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes (flipping halfway through).
- After 30 minutes, add coconut flakes if desired. Bake additional 5 minutes
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes-1 hour before storing in air tight container.
- Serve over Greek yogurt parfait, on top smoothie bowls, or enjoy dry for a quick snack!
My favorite way to enjoy this granola is in a Greek yogurt parfait. Mix 2/3 cup Greek yogurt with a dash of vanilla. Add in your favorite berries and sprinkle some granola on top! Perfect for breakfast or a pre-workout snack.
What is your favorite way to eat granola?