Christmas is coming up, and if you have some last minute shopping to do, consider buying the baker in your family a bread machine!
Yeah…that was my reaction when my co-worker told me about hers a few months ago. It’s literally a machine that makes bread for you! All you have to do is put in the ingredients and press start. It’s that simple.
Sounds too good to be true! I have to admit, I was skeptical at first…I had never heard of such a thing, but imagine making bread without waiting around for it to rise, then beat the dough down to knead it, then let it rise a second time and bake for an hour…that sounds magical!
A few weeks ago, my husband brought home a bread machine…he heard me talk about it, even though I was skeptical, but he came home with it anyway. Kind of nervous on where to begin, I found a recipe and went for it. I threw in all the ingredients and pressed start, and in 3 hours I had a fresh loaf of bread.
Not only is it convenient, you’d never have to buy bread again! I love homemade bread, but the process is so time consuming and most recipes make 3-4 loaves…I end up throwing it away because it spoils quickly. However, the bread machine makes 1 loaf perfect for the hubs and me!
In addition to convenience and economical factor, it is also more nutritious. I am in complete control of the ingredients, which I love. I like to make 100% whole wheat bread with honey and flax seed. You can really add whatever you like, but I can make bread using 6 ingredients while the bread you buy in the store has at least 12 ingredients–even the “healthy” breads…so many preservatives to make them “shelf stable”…you don’t need that when you make it homemade!
Now that I have convinced you to invest in one 🙂 , I will share my 100% whole wheat bread recipe with you!
*Note, recipe adapted from kingarthur.com with some personal touches.
100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 1/2 cups of 100% whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur brand but you may use whatever)
- 1/4 cup of roughly ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast (or instant yeast)
- Add all ingredients into bread machine in order listed above. Create a mound in the flour to put your yeast in to prevent from getting wet before pressing “start”.
- Settings for bread machine: 1 1/2 lb. loaf, medium crust, whole grain bread setting (if your bread machine does not have a whole grain setting, use the standard setting). Press start.
- Let the machine do it’s thing! Once cooked, remove from machine and set on cooling rack. Enjoy!
I typically make a loaf of bread on Sunday for the next week and a half and store it in the fridge (this keeps the bread from molding quickly). My bread machine is very practical for my husband and me–we do not eat a ton of bread but do enjoy it!
Where to find a bread machine:
My husband found mine at Carolina Home Goods in Morganton, NC brand new…if you are not in the area, many department, home, and goods stores carry various brands of bread machines.
So, if you are interested in a bread machine, put it on your Christmas wish list! Maybe Santa will bring you one. 🙂
Until Next Time
Katrina Detter, RD, LDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Follow me on social media!
Facebook: Live Better with Kat Detter
Pinterest: Live Better with Kat Detter